AGNPH Forums

Pokemon Text Adventure flash game idea

•  
    Korvas
    Date:Feb 27, 2015 7:25 AM Title:Pokemon Text Adventure flash game idea
    Hi All, names Korvas. I wanted to drop in because I had a question I wanted to ask you all. What would you guys think of a Text based adventure game in the Pokemon world. I was thinking of making it adult in nature. Basically, you play as a teenage Pokemon Trainer who goes on his adventure. Pretty standard starting point I know, but we could allow for players to pick from a selection of Pokemon to start with, allow them to do what they wanted to them, including battling against wild Pokemon, have traveling from city to city and various things that you can do there. What do you guys think? Sound like a good idea? Anyone want to help with it if it does get a good positive feedback?

•  
    Veryd
    Veryd
    Date:Feb 27, 2015 10:49 AM Title:Re: Pokemon Text Adventure flash game idea
    Having a text based adventure is always nice but the coding can be quite hard (atleast for me because my knowledge is pretty much to non existance)

•  
    Sleep Harder~ ||=(>|3
    MaDrow
    Date:Feb 27, 2015 3:04 PM Title:Re: Pokemon Text Adventure flash game idea
    It's a nice idea, but don't do it in Flash. It's going to be deprecated soon. 
    Since it's a text based game. You could do it in any program language, as long as it supports text input and output.

Since you want to do it in Flash, I assume you have knowledge of ActionScript. Which is based on Javascript. So HTML5 is likely the easiest alternative to pick up for you.

However, you don't have to write everything from scratch. Just do a quick search on SourceForge or Github on text-based games and pick some code which has a permissive license for use (like the MIT/BSD/ISC/zLib-license, copyleft licenses like LGPL and GPL wouldn't be your favor) and extend it.

If you use a decent architecture for the game, you could easily refactor it to a full, interactive visual game.

Here, have a Rare Candy~! 'Cause last night I found out you have to dream sweeter~! |=(>;3c

•  
    Korvas
    Date:Feb 27, 2015 5:09 PM Title:Re: Pokemon Text Adventure flash game idea
    I do have some knowledge of actionscript. I got most of my practice from working with the source coding for Corruption of Champions which was going to be my base, as it has pretty much everything I need, a combat system, much adult material, etc. Its the coding I am most familiar with using. I suppose that taking a look around on Github for a new structure that may be simpler than CoC may be a good idea, but for now, CoC's coding is gonna be my base.

•  
    AlistairDante
    Alistair Dante
    Date:Apr 7, 2015 1:06 AM Title:Re: Pokemon Text Adventure flash game idea
    Unity could work, simple enough to learn the basics quick, and pretty malleable an engine for things. Only downside is that price tag.

The world doesn't need heroes anymore... Leaving me as dust to fade in the memories created by a new day.

•  
    dragonshaun9
    Date:Mar 16, 2016 7:49 AM Title:RE: Pokemon Text Adventure flash game idea

i'd love to see a CoC-type pokemon game. Not sure about the transformation aspect of it though, which is CoCs big selling point.