AGNPH Forums

Generation Six

•  
    Hah. Gaaay.
    BRN Six
    Date:Jul 4, 2013 11:12 AM Title:Generation Six
    So, yeah. I've been stalking this news for a long time, and...

Welp, beyond the 3D graphics, eight directions of movement, riding a Gogoat and Sky Battles - which is all trivial, even if it kicks the butts -

How excited are you guys for the Pokemon themselves? Christ, Helioptile. Talonflame. I'm eager to see more.

~BRNx

•  
    Retroactively Continuitous
    cge0361
    Date:Jul 4, 2013 11:33 AM Title:Re: Generation Six
    Speaking as the grouchy old fart I am, I'm not yet committed to spending $200 for about a week's gaming.  My experience with the games has well trained me that any "new feature" is always a gimmick or a tease.  Like the goat thing.  Neat! You can ride your Pokémon, maybe this means they finally got rid of the HM garbage and made Pokémon just have cool abilities on the overworld map... (Goat's the only one you can ride.) (Only works in one place on the map.) (HMs still exist, forcing you to manage HM slaves.) ...what's the point?  Also, that interaction thing.  Interacting with Pokémon could be really interesting, but from the looks of it, it's a different game mode, not even rendering the environment you're in (or a mockery thereof like the battle mode seems to).  What, I can't scratch my mienshao's itch without first going into some generic skybox?  (I know, dev shots don't represent final product, natch, point remains.)  And of course, Pokémon interaction goes back to a token effort in HGSS, and having a Pokémon with you to Yellow.  They were all over the tamogachi thing, and it took a decade to make it a limited feature of the game, with head-pats and muffins, when it could be a way to give every Pokémon an expressed personality by interacting truly in-game and in-environment?  (Example, have an NPC walking by try to pet one of your Pokémon that doesn't like being touched by strangers; that could be interesting.  A cutscene of eating a cookie in a clean room is not.)  I don't know if they're either milking every feature they consider adding over a few gens, afraid to do anything really BIG, or just changing enough to fill out a heathly list of "new features" all of which are ultimately throw-away, but it's enough for me to know I'm not going to get much out of my gaming dollar, which everything "new" is something I frankly expect given where the technology is.

•  
    Only one can judge me and it is not you.
    Lightsoul
    Date:Jul 4, 2013 5:46 PM Title:Re: Generation Six
    I am not even following the news about Gen6 mostly because I am not expecting anything big out of it. Yes there are nice new features but in truth nothing that actually is a wow factor to me. I have been playing these games since Red and Blue first came out back in 1998 in the U.S and have played every Gen up until now and not one of them was in truth a wow factor. As for the pokemon not one of them is going to make me run out and drop any cash on it simply so I can have "that" one pokemon. Nah I will still pick up the games and play them simiply so I can continue to say that I have played and beaten every game in the main series but my "fan boy" days of getting worked up enough to stand in line at game stop and buy the game at midnight are over. To me I still believe that this series would do better on the consoles than on a game boy simply because the best games Game Freak ever made were on the console. So no the whole 8 direction is not new to the series, 3D is not new to the series and I do not see X and Y actually being ground breaking games. You want to see a game in the series that was ground breaking go back to Gen 2 with Gold, Silver and Crystal since all three of those were great ground breaking games.

Mr. Rager

•  
    Hah. Gaaay.
    BRN Six
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 8:37 AM Title:Re: Generation Six
    I'm not really in the position to disagree with the points that you both are making, even if I'm far less vehement about the lack of true inspiration in the new generations, but I wasn't really looking to judge the games themselves.

It's the new Pokemon so far that I'm talking about. I guess it's fair enough that the new guys aren't going to make you run out and buy the game, but personally, I still fanboy over some of the new critters each gen.

No love for Helioptile?

~BRNx

•  
    Retroactively Continuitous
    cge0361
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 3:48 PM Title:Re: Generation Six
    No love for Helioptile?
    Not at first, because it looks pretty dopey, but now that the latest teaser video reveals that it is a bearded dragon that fans those head dongles to shockwave zubats wholesale. . .  Still not yet, but I'm not passing judgment until I see its evos.  Mite be cool.

Let us not forget that a lack-luster electric type that becomes box filler usually appears around second gym.
    • Pikachu, which by virtue of needing thunderstone, was underwhelming both in basic and evolved form.
    • Mareep, which could have been cool if it evolved into a battering ram if it had enough bulk to be competent as physical-supported electric.
    • I don't know Gen III or IV, but I do know that I had to look up Electrike because it's so irrelevant, and Shinx is apparently on route 202 so that's probably pretty early-game.
    • Blitzle, that wanted so badly to be the physical-electric that Mareep should've become, and still gets boxed away.  Then, Magnemite in BW2, trying to compete for a spot on your second-gym team when you just picked up Mareep, and RIOLU, and Growlithe (if only to destroy Roxie's team).

I don't think the diagnosis is good for Helioptile as something people really care about, unless its evo picks up an interesting second typing, like Grass or Ground, and can do something with it.

•  
    Beluinus
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 6:16 PM Title:Re: Generation Six
    I haven't really been following the game very well, but what I'm looking forward to is that cute little fire starter. I might never let it evolve if I get the game.

Go read my stories!!
     My stories

•  
    Now with 50 percent less edge.
    Noctus
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 7:35 PM Title:Re: Generation Six
    There's a new pokemon game coming out?

Flames within, ignite the soul, to incinerate the past, is a burning toll.

Mood by song: Viva la vida by Coldplay

•  
    Beluinus
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 8:20 PM Title:Re: Generation Six
    You haven't heard of the pokemon X and Y coming out? It's going to be the first pokemom game released at the same time around the world.

Go read my stories!!
     My stories

•  
    Deviantitis is a contagious disease.
    Valor
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 8:52 PM Title:Re: Generation Six
    I've made predictions about this game. And so far, a few happened. These predictions being the goat, sword, lion, and panda Pokemon.

I don't own a 3DS, but I still can't wait to see this game come out.

Dreams and adventures! The world of Pocket Monsters! LET'S GO!!

•  
    Beluinus
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 9:32 PM Title:Re: Generation Six
    Sword pokemon?

Go read my stories!!
     My stories

<<123>><<123>>