AGNPH Forums

Theme for July/August - Abilities

•  
    Friendly resident Cyndaquil
    Cyn
    Date:Jul 2, 2016 4:56 AM Title:Theme for July/August - Abilities

First of July!

And, to go along with that, announcing the results of last month's theme. We got a lot of great entries, and I'd like to congratulate Arcanine Reno for his great story Pretty in Pink.

Although we didn't reach the number of authors we aimed for, we decided to still give out a smaller prize of $20USD for the Nintendo eShop. Congrats to Reno again, and make sure to check out his story and all the others!

Our July/August theme are Abilities! Now, in the pokemon games, abilities may just be another battle mechanic. But what would life be like if it always rained wherever you were? Or you were a compulsive hoarder of a zigzagoon? Show us how abilities can affect those who have them, for better or worse!

This time, we’ll be looking for a minimum of Five authors for the full prize ($50USD eShop credit). So, drag your friends in! We expect to see interesting and creative stories with this theme! Post your stories under the tag Abilities. We’ll be cutting off entries on August 17, with final winners being announced at the end of the month.

Also, we encourage everyone to check out the new Oekaki section. Let us know what you like, don’t like, and what needs improvement. We would like to include it for some future themes, so artists can join in too!

As a final note, Flygon will be unavailable from the 3rd of July, through to the 11th of July. Feel free to contact any of the other admins if you have questions, or Cyn for any technical help with the site.

Edit: The site will go offline for server maintenance for a bit on Friday, July 8th.

Update: Story entries for the prize have closed now that the 17th has passed. If you already wrote a story for the theme, feel free to still post it! We'll feature any themed stories on the home page for a month so everyone can enjoy!

siYrw.gif
    ~My fire shall always burn eternal~

•  
    sailorbowser
    Date:Jul 2, 2016 7:14 PM Title:RE: Theme for July/August - Abilities

Question.  Does an ability used in the story have to work the same way it does in the game, or can it be a re-imagining of how an ability could work?

•  
    Friendly resident Cyndaquil
    Cyn
    Date:Jul 2, 2016 9:55 PM Title:RE: Theme for July/August - Abilities
    sailorbowser on Jul 2, 2016 said:

Question.  Does an ability used in the story have to work the same way it does in the game, or can it be a re-imagining of how an ability could work?

Feel free to re-imagine how abilities would be like. Although, it's probably frowned-upon to directly contradict cannon, e.g. I don't want to see a magikarp with Swift Swim get slower in a rainstorm or something :P

siYrw.gif
    ~My fire shall always burn eternal~

•  
    Official Fluffdog
    Arcane_Reno
    Date:Jul 5, 2016 8:17 AM Title:RE: Theme for July/August - Abilities

Thank you guys for the awesome contest! This one coming up is a favourite subject of mine, I just hope I'll have time to submit something! o:

Amateur writer, professional slacker.