AGNPH Forums

Wii U

•  
    I need metal for a YT outro
    Xell
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 10:26 PM Title:Wii U
    We know that the Wii U has the jumpstart on the market, but will that give it the ability to outsell these new consoles coming out? Will the fact that it is still more innovative rather than advanced hurt it? Will the Touchscreen give it better market than the new ones? What are your opinions?

'Cause we are alone, here in death valley

Happy songs are over-rated, I'm listening to: angry stuff, sad stuff and rebellion stuff.

My YT channel:

XellandGames

•  
    Flygon did it...
    HatchlingByHeart
    Date:Jul 6, 2013 7:22 AM Title:Re: Wii U
    The title of this thread may as well be "Hatch bait" :P

Where do I begin?

The Wii U, like pretty much all of Nintendo's consoles, is a conservative effort to give the gamers what they want.
    Unfortunately, Nintendo over the last decade has been marred by the kiddie image many gamers seem to have of them, even before the Wii this was a pretty big problem, and not only this, but an image that they just don't make the powerhouses that the competition makes.

Back in the 5th generation, Sony had laxer standards when it came to mature gaming, and a far more cost-effective method of producing games, despite Sony's SDKs being more expensive, getting discs pressed was far cheaper then having cartridges made, and discs were able to store more data. This resulted in FAR more games being produced for Sony's console. The only thing a cartridge had over a disc was read speed, which meant most N64 games had instant loading times, as did any cartridge based game.

In my opinion, keeping cartridges for the N64 era was a HUGE mistake, and one that set Nintendo down a path of perceived mediocrity to most gamers. Nevertheless, Nintendo still made many a classic game back then, and they still do today despite the limitations of their own hardware.

After the N64 days, Nintendo has only had the more powerful console tech spec wise once, with the Gamecube, which is extremely close to the specs of the first XBOX. Both of those consoles were more powerful then the earlier released PS2, by a significant amount. The issue that held back the gamecube was once again, storage. Gamecube used mini-DVD like discs which hold only 1.5GB of data, whereas both competitors used regular DVD-ROMs, which are 4.7GB each. Despite this, they once again created some memorable classics like Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and Super Mario Sunshine, which all looked fantastic and still felt like full games despite being limited to 1.5GB.

Nintendo made another mistake when they created the Wii for the 7th Generation, only in a different way. This time disc space was the standard 4.7GB, but this time they, for some reason, saw no need to include HD graphics for the system in an era where HD was booming. This was another big mistake which only contributed to the casual appearance of the console.

Now comes the Wii U, the first console released in the 8th Generation, and despite Nintendo's past mistakes, it's a very nice piece of hardware. It's certainly not the powerhouses PS4 and XBOX One will be, but this has clearly never been Nintendo's focus, and more powerful hardware certainly does not mean better games, it depends entirely on what is done with the hardware, and anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant. Nevertheless, the Wii U's specs are still a much closer match to it's competitors then the Wii's specs were to PS3's or XBOX 360's, and the Wii U, despite all the doomsayers out there, will do just fine and still have it's loyal undying fanbase of billions worldwide to keep it going. Nintendo has been in much worse situations and been just fine.

I am confident I and millions of others will enjoy our Wii Us for years to come, especially when games like Smash Bros are released.

•  
    Flygon did it...
    HatchlingByHeart
    Date:Jul 10, 2013 9:16 AM Title:Re: Wii U
    Ain't noone else gonna post in here, looks like. *sad*

•  
    I need metal for a YT outro
    Xell
    Date:Jul 11, 2013 6:11 AM Title:Re: Wii U

Ain't noone else gonna post in here, looks like. *sad*

Yeah, I think it is because people don't really care yet.

Everyone who reads this feel free to chip in, I pose questions to get opinions, I love to see how you feel about the new consoles out now or the consoles coming out. I may even add a PC one to see who here uses PC, or dislikes it.

'Cause we are alone, here in death valley

Happy songs are over-rated, I'm listening to: angry stuff, sad stuff and rebellion stuff.

My YT channel:

XellandGames

•  
    Flygon did it...
    HatchlingByHeart
    Date:Jul 11, 2013 12:38 PM Title:Re: Wii U
    I just hope everyone who doesn't like the Wii U doesn't like it for their own reason and isn't just jumping on the Nintendo hate bandwagon.

It's sad how many people who bash the Wii U don't even have or have ever seen one in the flesh.

•  
    Retroactively Continuitous
    cge0361
    Date:Jul 11, 2013 12:44 PM Title:Re: Wii U
    Aside from being somewhat lured into Pokémon (not so much for what it is but my imagining what it could be, and it being a decent way to blow free time for week once a year), I haven't cared about buying Nintendo products since around 1994.  The portion of the games market they focused on shifted away from me, and given my one Wii-era experience (a Party with Mario) it not only never went back, but it turned into a farce that explicitly spits on the old gamer.

Also, I'm not buying concurrent systems.  If they want me to buy a 3DS for Pokémon, they're not selling me another system in this economy.

•  
    Flygon did it...
    HatchlingByHeart
    Date:Jul 11, 2013 1:06 PM Title:Re: Wii U
    As they are the manufacturers of the cheapest consoles of the lot, I've never understood price points being a reason against getting one.

Half of Nintendo's problem is the image that they're all Mario and Pokemon. Nintendo has dozens of franchises, a few of which are mature gamer oriented (Metroid), which are often overlooked and poorly marketed. </fanboy> :P

•  
    Retroactively Continuitous
    cge0361
    Date:Jul 11, 2013 1:55 PM(Edited:Jul 11, 2013 1:57 PM) Title:Re: Wii U
    If you are referencing me, I did not mention price point at all.  Nintendo (and all the others, too) have failed to convince me to buy their products for almost twenty years.  With a PC, I gained access to the games I wanted and the console market never found a way to compete beyond the level of "that looks okay, I'll borrow a friend's system and play that game for a weekend."

Also understand that the price tag isn't the cost, but the time.  I have a few hours to myself in the morning and evening.  I can communicate with people, post on this web forum, read a fic, write a fic, play a game on my computer that I enjoy, or play a video game that isn't really any fun.  Guess which I will choose when all but the last isn't demanding I get additional electronic hardware first.

Looking toward X and Y; that's the only game I can think of that justifies considering the hardware at any price.  Are there games I might like?  Maybe, but Nintento has failed to communicate their existence to me.  All I hear about is old games I played and beat on NES coming to the sanctioned emulator and the latest round of gimmicks they're throwing into some old fanchise.  (Oh, and how they tried to bring back Kid Icarus as the new 3D masoct, and turned the portable 3DS into a high-color Virtual Boy en route.)  When I'm at a retail store, I'll look at a wall of games and see nothing that seems attractive.  It's like a cloud of static, and a far cry from NES/SNES era where I would visit a renter and see at least half of the games looked interesting even if they didn't look good.

•  
    Random Writer
    Jewelwriter
    Date:Jul 13, 2013 3:08 PM Title:Re: Wii U
    I feel like Nintendo does have a chance.  And honesty I feel the Bashing of the Wii U has been so Ridiculous it's insane.

I'll admit there's somethings I wish they'd get better on but I think if anything most of the rest of the competition is more or less jealous in a way.

[move].....But that's just my thoughts.....[/move]

•  
    Flygon did it...
    HatchlingByHeart
    Date:Jul 18, 2013 10:48 PM(Edited:Jul 18, 2013 10:55 PM) Title:Re: Wii U

I feel like Nintendo does have a chance.  And honesty I feel the Bashing of the Wii U has been so Ridiculous it's insane.

I'll admit there's somethings I wish they'd get better on but I think if anything most of the rest of the competition is more or less jealous in a way.

[move].....But that's just my thoughts.....[/move]

Nintendo isn't going anywhere, no matter what anyone says, they're not like the other two. They're a juggernaut in this business, and video games is all they do in markets outside Japan, while Sony and MS have to juggle entire technology empires, and Sony especially is haemorrhaging money.

Nintendo unfortunately do fall behind regarding the power of their consoles, but only because power is not their focus. Their focus is fun games, although they do spend more time in development then I'd like...

In my honest opinion, the bashing of Nintendo in general, let alone the Wii U, stems from the current generation of gamers not understanding, or ignoring, the roots of gaming. The same thing would be happening to SEGA if they still made consoles today. Sony and MS have both reinforced an alternate image of what a gamer is and what a good game is, playing on Nintendo's family friendly image, and now western gamers in general now see shooters and other brutally violent types of games as the ideal genre, deeming most others inferior or kiddy.

<<123>><<123>>