AGNPH Forums

Anyone else here play Kerbal Space Program?

•  
    Anoliz
    Date:Feb 26, 2014 5:24 PM Title:Anyone else here play Kerbal Space Program?
    If you haven't you really should. Its basically a space program simulator where you build rockets and do space and atmosphere experiments, try to land on other planets and moons, etc, etc. There's a whole real time solar system to explore and its a really amazing game that is highly realistic and has proper newtonian physics programmed into it.

I've recently researched the right technologies to piece together a lander and got to the Mun. I tried like twenty times before which all ended in failure. I was so excited as I approached the Mun that I didn't realize I was landing on the dark side of it. Couldn't see anything and totally demolished the lander. Astronaut survived though, but hes not getting home. Watching him with a huge smile on his face as he rolls and tumbles down the side of a crater bouncing meters into the air every so often put a smile on my own face. I'll try again but this time land on the bright side.

I've actually learned a lot playing this game about how rockets work and how to get things into orbit and using orbital sling shots to path around space. Its really interesting stuff. At least to me it is.

|Life...|

•  
    Rawrr!
    Renn
    Date:Feb 26, 2014 7:39 PM Title:Re: Anyone else here play Kerbal Space Program?
    I've had my eye on this game for quite some time, although the game still in the beta stage (it seems most games are like that these days) is keeping me from purchasing it.

Although I did find one interesting Let's Play videos a few months back by an individual whose name escapes me at the moment. To put it succinctly, it consists of yelling 'MOAR POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' when a launch isn't successful by way of strapping more booster rockets in absurd amounts.

One thing I've observed in one of the older builds of KSP is that the game engine doesn't factor in air resistance correctly. Not sure if that has been rectified in more recent patches of the game but I will, at some point in the near future, own this game.

Mrawwr~

•  
    Anoliz
    Date:Feb 26, 2014 8:10 PM Title:Re: Anyone else here play Kerbal Space Program?

I've had my eye on this game for quite some time, although the game still in the beta stage (it seems most games are like that these days) is keeping me from purchasing it.

Although I did find one interesting Let's Play videos a few months back by an individual whose name escapes me at the moment. To put it succinctly, it consists of yelling 'MOAR POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' when a launch isn't successful by way of strapping more booster rockets in absurd amounts.

One thing I've observed in one of the older builds of KSP is that the game engine doesn't factor in air resistance correctly. Not sure if that has been rectified in more recent patches of the game but I will, at some point in the near future, own this game.

I can tell you for a fact that air resistance has been implemented. If you go too fast during launch it will slow you down and you'll even see the air pushing around your rocket. If you go much faster then the air becomes heated and red. Re-entry is beautiful when your pod is in free fall and the fiery air pushes around it. Then you begin to slow down and the air cools off until you're going terminal velocity. Usually at re-entry speed though you'll hit the ground before terminal velocity. Thank goodness for parachutes.

|Life...|