AGNPH Forums

Activism, The Internet, And You.

•  
    Too many masks!
    Mujin
    Date:Jun 30, 2014 11:38 AM Title:Activism, The Internet, And You.
    Equality for all genders. Fairness in treatment and initial respect, regardless of creed, religion, or race. Preservation of cultural values, and cultural diversity. Preservation of Mother Earth. Public health issues.

These are wonderful causes to support, absolutely! If you have spare resources- Even your time, which is one of the most precious resources you can give, It's often a good idea to support a cause that will improve the life and welfare of all humanity on this wonderful planet. Naturally, people want to be helpful, and feel good.

So you want to help a cause, and become an activist? That's wonderful news! But beware! Activism requires effort, it requires a lot of resources, and especially, your time, and attention. Poorly executed activism can not only alienate you from your peers and the world, It can work against the very cause you are fighting for, and alienate you from the very people you intend to help and aid!
    ( And thus, the very reason I write this. The corrosive culture being cultivated in our technologically advanced and well connected new internet society is directly affecting politics, and thus, me and my people*.)

So, how can you avoid damaging your cause? I present to you some helpful tips!

-= RESEARCH =-
    This is the most important thing you can do. Research is not "Google the Word," or "Wiki it." Research is much more involved then that. as a rule of thumb, Never trust a single source of information. Knowledge is power, and like any power, Many will lure you with false information to further their own agendas. Research takes time, and yields surprising results.

For example, on the subject of Feminism and Woman's Rights: It seems simple on the surface not to support "Cheerleading" as an activity that exploits woman. But did you know, that by preventing the now very competitive "Cheerleading" from being recognized as a Sport, It keeps Cheerleading from being regulated? Safety measures in place for other sports prevent many injuries, but more people in high school suffer catastrophic ( Permanent Disfigurement or loss of limb function ) injuries from Cheetleading then every regulated high school sport combined?

Don't take my word for it of course. Research, and make this conclusion, or oppose this conclusion, on your own!

-= EDUCATE =-
    Being an activist means you will have to repeat yourself often. You may even need to chant! The people you speak to may not even realize there is an issue they need to be aware of. It will be your job to educate, and to show your research, and why you believe what you do. When you write your senators and congressman, You will need to be respectful, and full of information.

-= RESPECT YOUR "OPPOSITION" =-
    Your "enemy" believes in what they think is right, just as you do. Try to respect them. As a rule of thumb, never sound crazier or angrier then your opposition. By being full of information, and speaking respectfully, your opposition may very well self-destruct! If your opposition raises a point, address that point, research that point even.

If you block and insult your opposition, you not only close doors, but you give your opponent ammunition to damage your cause. Conversely, if you enrage your opponent, they will aid your cause by damaging theirs. Instead of "You're wrong!" (Or any colorful varient of thus) try to not only say, but to think, "I understand that point! But I feel you think that because you have not-"

Finally- You are not a "Traitor" if you find yourself in error. Your position not only can, but /should/ change when more facts become apparent.

-= RESPECT YOUR CAUSE =-
    By researching your subject, you should learn your subject's history, culture, and beliefs. Make sure that the subject of your cause desires you as a representative. For example, many Native Americans (Myself included) actually become very, very offended when an outsider feels that we need someone to speak for us, without being consulted.

In our diverse array of cultures, Do not seek to make people "equal" by diluting culture. I will stick with the Native American example because this one is easy, being personal to me. Many feel that Native American Beadwork items are Racist, and racist to posses. Say, a beadwork Bic Lighter Cover for example, something my mom likes to make. It has become popular to call this "Racist" and that it fetishizes Native Americans.

However, Beadwork is an expression, an art form, and in the style my mom makes, a distinctly native american artwork. It should be seen, to remind people we exist at all. In suppressing this as a "Racist" thing to posses or purchase, signs of our culture will fade, and we are already in danger of fading out of thought and practice, even without or own people.

-= MODERATE =-
    Extremism is a tool for extreme circumstances. If you cannot use moderation in your cause, there is great risk of damaging your cause, and alienating you from not only your fellow activists, but the very people you intend to help. Avoid outright insulting everyone who does not agree with you.

-= BE INCLUSIVE =-
    Encourage people to follow the same path as you do. Don't burn bridges and contacts by being eager to push people who do not agree with you away. Instead, invite them to share with you, let them know you are always open to change. Be inclusive with your friends as well! Don't force them to think like you, but invite them to write their congressman for a cause.

-===-
    These helpful tips may be overwhelming! And if you cannot follow the path of an Activist, There is no shame in that! You can instead, follow an Activist who's cause aligns with your own, and share that persons words and works.

But this is important, if you take nothing else from this, This should be what you remember.
    You CANNOT support a cause in ignorance.
    If you are not willing to invest time into your cause, do not blindly work for it. You could damage your cause!

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I love you all.

/人‿‿人\
    It can't be helped.