•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jul 21, 2013 8:44 PM Title:DayZ
    Chernarus
    Namalsk
    Takistan
    and many more~

Whatever your flavour, there's bound to be zombies. What's your scene, if you do play DayZ?

Me and Brintau have been frequenting Namalsk and have a good selection of gear and ammo, but due to recent incursions in our base, we're blowing it up (yay Satchel Charges). We haven't decided on whether to go to another, deserted server or wait for the standalone, but we're done on the current server ^^;

Just as a taste of what we have:

M107
    SVD Camo
    M4A1 CCO SD
    G36C SD
    M249
    Mk. 48 Mod 0
    M9 SD
    PDW
    Night Vision Goggles
    Rangefinder
    GPS
    APSI (for the hourly EVR Storm exclusive to Namalsk)
    L85 ACOG M203
    M4A1 M203 RCO

6 Ural trucks (50 weapon slots; 200 item slots; 10 backpack slots)
    2 KA-60 Attack Helicopters
    1 Mi-17 transport helicopter
    1 Little Bird helicopter.

You name it, we have it (or probably owned/used it at some point).

It would be nice if there were more people from here who play this game, as we could group up against other players and the zombie horde. Having just me and Brin in a large map, worrying about our base when there are other players in the server, dodging zeds and Bloodsuckers for a few hours gets tiring if there isn't anyone to back us up ^^;

So~ *claps hands* Who's up for some zombie killing~? :3

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Sep 3, 2013 11:18 AM Title:Re: DayZ
    Alright, since nobody has posted here, and it seems like there's zero incentive to play with me or Brin ( even though he only spends like one hour on the dern game -w-; ), I have a quest for you guys.

Please excuse me for using idiot-proof directions; I'm bored and tired of wandering alone on DayZ :/

Map: Taviana
    IP: 159.253.149.26:3204 (not my server)
    Objectives: Find me.

You will spawn near a small town ( Kameni ) with the following: one (1) Coyote Pack (8 slots total); one (1) Bandage (stops bleeding, does not heal health); one (1) Flashlight (can be moved to your secondary weapon slot via right-click - press "L" to turn on at night); and one (1) Painkiller (for shock/shakiness after being attacked). Area map shown below.
    Taviana1.png

I have left a Sedan (4-door, 4-passenger) vehicle between Kameni and Yaroslav. This vehicle has supplies and fuel to make one round trip from its current location; to my base; and back. It is fragile, so do NOT expect it to hit a large bump/object and keep rolling. It is not a Ural/V3S truck. I did not leave any parts to repair the vehicle should you crash, besides a Toolbox necessary to use with vehicle parts (specifically Engine Parts; Fueltank Parts; Car Wheel; Scrap Metal and Windshield Glass).

Included in the vehicle/supply drop are as follows:
    Taviana2.png
    The blacked-out areas are items in my backpack, so you do not need to see those.

PLEASE NOTE:

The Sedan can only hold a total of: Ten (10) Weapons/Tools (tools include the Map, Compass, Hatchet [also a weapon when put into your main weapon slot] Binoculars, etc.); Fifty (50) Miscellaneous items (ammo, food, Road Flares, Jerry Cans, etc.) and Two (2) Backpacks.

Its top speed is ~100 KPH (not MPH for anyone using Imperial) on-road and ~25 KPH off-road. Using the three speed buttons: Q, W, and E; you will get different speeds: 50, 75 and 100 kph, respectively. For obvious reasons, I highly recommend using the lower two speeds (Q and W) for cities/towns and the higher for open roads and highways. But better to use the second speed for newer players - there is a lot of wreckage on the streets, and you do NOT want to be left in a city with a flaming wreck with all your goodies (and possibly you!) inside.

Fuel capacity is low, Fifty (50) Litres. The three Jerry Cans I have provided will refuel a total of SIXTY (60) Litres (3x20L), but don't let your fuel drop that low.

The vehicle is slightly damaged. What? Did you expect me to leave you a gleaming, untouched vehicle straight out of the showroom? (Sorry, really bored and kinda pissed that any DayZ map I choose have empty servers -w-)

ANYWAYS

Time for tips and hints! Yay!

The city/town/area I have posted my base in starts with the letter "C". As there is a map included inside the Sedan, you can browse all you want for potential locations. But I would suggest going through the handy online map from DayZDB so you don't waste your time and energy (literally, every minute you spend in the game drains your thirst and hunger, whether you're moving or not) looking for potential hotspots.

DRIVE SLOW
    If you run into a solid object instead of a squishy one (i.e. zombie, animal or human) with your vehicle, expect to come out with vehicle damage, ranging for a few points of damage to a broken part. If you break your engine: RUN. Eject (don't "Get Out") from the vehicle and fucking RUN. The vehicle will explode in a few seconds, taking all your supplies (and you, if you're not fast enough) up in flames and explosive goodness. Not fun. Easiest way that you can tell that your engine is broken is if the icon in the top left corner is DARK RED and the car won't move. You have, AT MOST, five (5) to ten (10) seconds to test this and bail. I will not come to your rescue!

CROUCH AND WALK SLOW
    Zombies will respond to anything moving or making sounds at and above a two-bar level if they are across the street from you. At one bar for hearing, they have to literally be five "metres" in any direction around you (give or take). Pray that it's nighttime when you join the server, because your sight will almost always be below two bars of detection. This is especially helpful if you're going into a city to scavenge for supplies/ammo/food.

CONSERVE AMMO
    This has double implications. The Sa-58V may come with four (4) 30-round banana magazines and initially be set at single-shot fire mode, but the zombies in Taviana will NOT drop in two body shots like most of the other DayZ maps. The Sa-58V does not have silenced ammunition and uses the very powerful 7.62x39mm Russian round. Firing one shot in a city WILL attract a few blocks of zombies to your location, and you will be burning through your four mags in no time at all. Take your time, make every shot count and AIM FOR THE HEAD. You spray, you better pray you come out alive. Only shoot if you know you have the advantage of being in a building and/or the zombie is in danger-close proximity to you.

BE PATIENT
    Above all else, BE MOTHAFUCKIN' PATIENT! DayZ (and by extension, ArmA 2) is not an instant-action game. It is about tactics, it is about stealth and most of all, it is about SURVIVAL. Rush, and you die. Take your time in and around cities, especially if you have no ammo. Trash piles and wreckage will fuck your car up. Don't get distracted by shiny things while driving unless you want to park your car halfway up a tree. If you see billowing smoke in a field, slow down and look. It may be a helicopter crash site for you to replenish your weapon and ammo stock. I am already in the process of gathering ammunition from these sites, and sometimes they don't have ammo. Don't count on these for rarer ammunition (FN FAL, Bizon PP-19 SD, etc.). There are plenty of military loot spawns for regaining ammo.

Loot will not spawn while you are in a vehicle, so stay a good distance (300-500m) away, on foot, from the area for a few minutes, stay mobile, and check up on the area every now and again, but don't spend too much time in the area. I may be the only constant player staying on the server for longer than hour, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other people popping in every now and again.

[hr][hr]

If you think you have found the town/city I have taken up shop in/around, honk your horn five times in five seconds, or, if the vehicle has been disabled/destroyed before getting to my base, fire off five shots in five seconds and wait for a response. I will shoot an M203 Flare round into the sky if I hear you (colour will not be important). If I do not reply after the third try, move on, zombies are already closing in.

As extra hints, I will most likely be around a town/city that has a balance of Industrial, Residential, Military and Supermarket buildings. I will not be directly in the city, so look around.

If I do not reply, and you are confident that you have found the area, tell me via Side Chat. I may have gone to scrounge for gear while you were making your way to me. It is vital that you ID yourself, otherwise I may shoot on sight, and we don't want that ^^;

If you decide to cross the bridge connecting the two islands, I highly recommend using the lowest speed setting for the Sedan. Multiple wreckages of vehicles, trash piles and ship containers litter the bridge at intervals.

Taviana is VERY large and it WILL take you a while to get to areas you want to look at. Such is DayZ/ArmA2.

Anyways, I'm done with my excessively long-ass post. See you guys on the field...or not :/

•  
    Just your friendly neighborhood Sceptile
    Sanguine
    Date:Sep 15, 2013 10:36 PM Title:Re: DayZ
    I have wanted to play this game so bad. Is it free to play or do you have to purchase it?

aocz-rooster.pngaowz-libra.png

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Sep 17, 2013 4:59 AM Title:Re: DayZ
    Currently, you have to buy two games (~$30 USD) and download the free mod to play DayZ. But the standalone should be coming out in Alpha soon.