AGNPH Forums

Does anyone remember the old chat?

•  
    Obligatory Cute Thing
    mew_
    Date:Jun 3, 2016 8:29 AM Title:Does anyone remember the old chat?

I used to be a user here and I remember there was this sidebar chatbox with all this neat stuff you can do with it. Does anyone remember or am I alone here? 

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jun 4, 2016 7:19 AM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?

You're not alone in that - it was removed fairly recently. Admins/Hatch say that it's because of the format of the new website, but basically everyone knows that's BS since a ton of websites have a chatbox kind of thing that's either its own, separate thing, or is connected to an IRC. Oh, yeah, and the Oekaki board was also removed because it wasn't compatible with this new site.

Everyone that isn't an admin is in agreement that it was removed due to the heaps of drama back a few years ago on the CB.

Basically, if you want to have a live chat nowadays, it's move to the IRC, go to AGNPH's sister site (HPF - Hungry Pokemon Forums), or use PMs.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but this site is basically in the shitter with no way out, especially since there's tons of sites that house far more Pokemon content than here. e621, FurAffinity, DeviantArt, InkBunny, Furry Network, and Paheal, just to name a few.

•  
    Friendly resident Cyndaquil
    Cyn
    Date:Jun 4, 2016 6:37 PM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?
    Chief on Jun 4, 2016 said:

You're not alone in that - it was removed fairly recently. Admins/Hatch say that it's because of the format of the new website, but basically everyone knows that's BS since a ton of websites have a chatbox kind of thing that's either its own, separate thing, or is connected to an IRC. Oh, yeah, and the Oekaki board was also removed because it wasn't compatible with this new site.

Just to clear up any confusion:

1. The chatbox was removed for a few reasons: It was causing harmful drama for users, was difficult to moderate, and was low on the priority list when the new site was being created. Considering I'm the one solely creating and maintaining the current site, please don't tell me what features are easy and hard to add.

2. There has been some discussion by admins about how the IRC could be integrated into the main site. If you have suggestions about that, feel free to chat with us so we know there are people who want this.

3. The oekaki was never removed because it wasn't compatible; the old site is still viewable (at oekaki.agn.ph), although the drawing software doesn't really work on modern browsers. There are plans underway to move all the data to this site, which you should hear about in the near future.

4. Just as an FYI: AGNPH's gallery has more (explicit) pokemon content than e621 and paheal combined.

siYrw.gif
    ~My fire shall always burn eternal~

•  
    Obligatory Cute Thing
    mew_
    Date:Jun 4, 2016 7:23 PM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?

While I get what you guys mean, it was still a fun thing to do. It's unfortunate that it won't come back, but there's nothing I can do about it. I just saw people using it as a tool to rp and have everyday chat in. I can't say that I saw much drama there though, but I'll still believe you. It did seem rather unmanageable and whatever admins tried to get involved in the chat only stayed on for about an hour give or take, so I completely understand the moderation issue. I had my theories as to why it's no longer a thing, but I appreciate you guys clearing things up for me. 

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jun 5, 2016 12:40 AM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?

I'm sorry Cyn, I had no idea you were taking care of the site these days. I honestly thought Flygon and Hatch were still the ones dealing with it.

To be fair, yes, the CB was causing a ton of drama, and personally, I think there weren't enough people who were willing (goodness knows we had enough mods and admins) to moderate the CB, so it really did spiral out of control.

I really doubt at this point that things can be added that would liven this site up, since there's no advertising on other furry websites about AGNPH, there's not much we can offer, and basically everyone else has either fucked off to the IRC or other furry communities (including Flygon and Hatch - IRC-wise, anyways). Hell, I'm only popping in these days to see if the place is still even alive. And I only use the IRC for yiff, if I'm gonna be honest about it.

Its good to know that the old Oekaki site is still running, but a shame that you can't draw with the modern browsers - you'd think that the browsers were backwards-compatible.

I'd like to see the numbers on the gallery, I have no idea how much content there is.

•  
    just remember. im here as the big swampert teddy..
    dark devil
    Date:Jun 5, 2016 3:02 AM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?

Well if you wanna rp or talk. Pms and the irc are  always useful. Though I think the irc would be a better place to check for who you wanna talk or rp with. There are users there I think that have not botherd to re-fix there account. Plus you can see who is active and such. Lost quite a few users who I enjoyed talking and mucking around with myself. Not to say I've kept in contact with a few of em. Just suck I can't rp with a few choice favorites

the more messier your room is  the smarter you are.

•  
    Flygon
    Date:Jun 5, 2016 3:59 AM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?

Hey there. I have been taking care of the site, as well, but Cyn is our current primary coder. HatchlingByHeart has hit some reatively major life issues. I've known him personally, and have travelled with him in the past. I need you all to understand that he would contribute if it was practical for him. But, currently, his life situation does not make this a practicality.

We are currently running Advertisments on e621 and SoFurry. We have investigated running them on Fur Affinity, but are currently not doing so, due to certain issues their end. It is difficult to justify the financial cost of advertising on a site that has the reliability problems of Fur Affinity.

Either way, we do currently advertise AGNPH on other furry community sites, albiet, targetted at where we think we'll get the best bang-per-buck for now.

We have almost 120,000 independant posts on the Gallery, but this is including material deleted. The amount of material discounting deleted should be around 112,000 posts.

I am still around, even though I admit I mostly stick around the IRC for community interaction. I do still monitor around here. It is still my goal to grow AGNPH once more. But with limited finances, and limited staff, I am going to have to ask for patience.

Either way, I am still around, and I care about our community a fair bit, but we have challenges that face us. We will overcome them, and we are constantly doing things behind the scenes to do so!

By the way, I don't know if you have heard,  but we are running a Fics contest . The more authors, the better. We'd love to see what y'all can write up for it!

•  
    Rawrr!
    Renn
    Date:Jun 6, 2016 7:18 PM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?

Not much I can add without repeating what others said, Mew. I do wander in once in a while to see if this site still has some life left and PM once in a while. Other than that, the old chat is but a distant memory.

Mrawwr~

•  
    Flygon
    Date:Jun 6, 2016 10:37 PM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?

We have soft-launched a semi-integrated IRC chat onto the site's homepage, with a proper announcement soon. While this isn't operationally the same as the chatbox, it does make the IRC activity more apperant.

People's thoughts are welcome.

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jun 7, 2016 2:40 AM Title:RE: Does anyone remember the old chat?

Having it exclusively on the homepage may or may not be a good thing. Having it on all the main tabs (Forums, Gallery, Fics, the likely places people are going to have bookmarked) would show that the site has a bit more life to it.

<<12>><<12>>