AGNPH Forums

The Virus

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jul 3, 2013 10:21 AM Title:The Virus
    I'm too lazy to post all the required document files on the Fics section, and also too lazy to post each chapter here. SO I'm going to simply post the link to the first chapter of the story that's hosted on FanFiction.Net.

I have allowed anonymous reviews on that site, but feel free to post about it here. I'm currently stuck on what to write for the next chapter (Ch. 12), and have been stuck for like 6+ months -w-;

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6468467/1/The-Virus

P.S. Writer's Block sucks -w-;

•  
    Flygon did it...
    HatchlingByHeart
    Date:Jul 3, 2013 11:04 AM Title:Re: The Virus
    Isn't this already on our fics? Why didn't you just link to that? :/

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jul 3, 2013 11:14 AM Title:Re: The Virus
    This one has all 11 current chapters - the one on the Fic section does not - and the Fics section, no offence, doesn't exactly have the best method of uploading files ^^;

FFN allows .DOC files to be uploaded with full formatting, whereas the Fics section, as far as I remember, had to be redone with formatting.

•  
    Retroactively Continuitous
    cge0361
    Date:Jul 3, 2013 11:17 AM Title:Re: The Virus
    The only way out is through.  Write the next chapter.  If it's bad, throw it away and do another next chapter.

0% of my stories' conent is the result of not-writing it.

formatting
    Personally, I feel if you need formatting, you're doing it wrong.  ALL CAPS is the only added emphasis I've ever needed and only very rarely.  I do wish the fics section would get with the times regarding unicode.  It eats my em-dashes (—) and ligatures (œ) and turns them into zalgo. :(

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jul 3, 2013 11:39 AM(Edited:Jul 3, 2013 11:56 AM) Title:Re: The Virus
    By formatting, I mean Italics, Bold and the like. Certain scenarios require more finesse than just ALL CAPS LOCK, to emphasize sarcasm ("Oh, how interesting, I totally didn't know you could do that!"), or a certain word ("I thought I said this had to happen, but this happened instead!"), and other things. I find it better to use many different formatting options so that the reader can "hear" how the words are spoken and better visualize the scene in his or her mind.

•  
    cge0361
    Date:Jul 3, 2013 11:56 AM Title:Re: The Virus
    To each their own.  I find excessive formatting highly distracting (case in point, when there is a legend at the top rattling off six or more variations of bold, italic, underline, single, double, and multiple quotation marks to indicate speech, internal dialog, telepathy, "Pokéspeak", translations . . .) and something of a crutch in the case of, as you suggest, sarcasm not communicating to a reader; especially in dialog, where the character's proclivity for sarcasm should be understood by how the reader's gotten to know the character during the story.

That I always write in plain-text may also be a factor. :D  When I learned to write, my typewriter supported only underscore.

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jul 3, 2013 12:00 PM(Edited:Jul 5, 2013 9:56 AM) Title:Re: The Virus
    I also like thinking through the scenes and how they would play out, and in some cases, I have based chapters around songs that I thought would fit. I end up taking far too long in writing as a result, but the end product keeps readers stuck to their email notifications, hoping for an update ^^;

•  
    Cute cute cute cute cute cute cute cute
    Sutero
    Date:Jul 3, 2013 8:52 PM Title:Re: The Virus

The only way out is through.  Write the next chapter.  If it's bad, throw it away and do another next chapter.

0% of my stories' conent is the result of not-writing it.

formatting
    Personally, I feel if you need formatting, you're doing it wrong.  ALL CAPS is the only added emphasis I've ever needed and only very rarely.  I do wish the fics section would get with the times regarding unicode.  It eats my em-dashes (—) and ligatures (œ) and turns them into zalgo. :(

ALL CAPS is almost always a terrible method of adding emphasis to your writing. It's almost as bad as surrounding stuff with *s. :P

•  
    Illusionairy Fox
    Chief
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 10:01 AM Title:Re: The Virus

To each their own.  I find excessive formatting highly distracting (case in point, when there is a legend at the top rattling off six or more variations of bold, italic, underline, single, double, and multiple quotation marks to indicate speech, internal dialog, telepathy, "Pokéspeak", translations . . .) and something of a crutch in the case of, as you suggest, sarcasm not communicating to a reader; especially in dialog, where the character's proclivity for sarcasm should be understood by how the reader's gotten to know the character during the story.

That I always write in plain-text may also be a factor. :D  When I learned to write, my typewriter supported only underscore.
    Why don't you read through my WIP? It will be nice to get a fair and unbiased (I hope) opinion on how I write/type. I also tend to type using myself as an always-on spellchecker with MS Word/OpenOffice Writer as a secondary, using the latter to assist in grammatical and minor spelling errors. I personally think I've done fairly well, but as I've learned throughout the years, it always takes another, more experienced (or more...devoted) checker to spot the missed details.

Also, feel free to look at my older works. I've left those behind, and yet I still get a few reads and reviews per month on how well I wrote it - even though I feel that those were more...childish (in terms of writing) than The Virus.

•  
    cge0361
    Date:Jul 5, 2013 4:07 PM Title:Re: The Virus
    A scan of the first few chapters (literally, scrolling over it) shows no real abuse of formatting, but I did not see anything that needed special emphasis to be understood properly, either.  Again, it's when formatting requires a cheat-sheet to understand that it has lost its way.  I'll consider a more thorough exposure later; zombies apparently, and what little reading time I have is currently allocated, and maybe I should do some writing of my own once in a while.  "Taking a break" has become more like "taking a vacation," recently.  I need to recapture my momentum, since I shifted out of Love Lost for the sake of a forgettable side-project and haven't gotten back into the groove since.

<<12>><<12>>